Follow a consistent capitalization scheme
Inconsistent spellings and capitalization undermine your authority. Follow these capitalization guidelines:
- Capitalize proper nouns, including names of individuals, places, and companies.
- Don't capitalize agile or open source, unless either opens a sentence.
- Don't capitalize submit as an action, but do capitalize it if it is the name of an interface item or the first word of a sentence.
When you're deciding whether to capitalize noun phrases, remeber that title case is often a marker of formality in English. It can help clarify that you're speaking about a specific, official thing (such as a form, office, or person). But overuse can confuse users.
Headlines, page titles, subheads, and similar content should follow sentence case, and should not include a trailing colon. For example:
- Using the Insert Citation command on your proof
- ARTEMIS roles and responsibilities